This is one of the shrines patronized by the Masuda clan.
The main hall was built in 18C with materials reused from the former shrine built in 1584.
The history of this shrine dates further back and its name is found in Engishiki Jimmyocho (927), a list of shrines in Japan. Also, Sogyo Shinzazo, a statue of Shinto deity in Buddhist monk dress, is believed to have been made in 11C.
Three rituals of the shrine, Harihiroi, Sumo and Shishimai are ethnologically important. Back of the precincts of the shrine is an ideal spot to look over the Masuda Plain to grasp the development of this port town from geographical point.